Global North region: Nominate a new Board member!
[en Français] [en Espanol]
GIN is a global network of LGBTIQ++ people of faith who use their faith traditions as a source of insight and energy to advocate for the human rights of LGBTIQ++ people globally. GIN has a specific focus on what we call Key Affected Contexts, places where violence and power collude with religion, culture and tradition most viciously to instigate homophobic and transphobic discrimination, many of which are in the Global South. Our Secretariat is based in South Africa, and we have approximately 420 members (both individuals and organisations) worldwide.
Our Board consists of 8 regional representatives (one for each region: Latin America, the Caribbean, Sub Saharan Africa, Middle East and North Africa, South and Central Asia, East and South East Asia, the Pacific, and the ‘Global North’ region which includes the US, Canada, Australia, NewZealand and Europe) as well as 3 South African representatives to facilitate the day to day operations of the organization.
The Board meets online every two months, and face to face once a year for about three days (although at the moment, this meeting is also taking place virtually).
During our last GIN General Members’ Meeting (GMM) which took place online in September 2021, we ran Board elections for 6 Board representatives and replaced outgoing Board members in Latin America, South and Central Asia, East and South East Asia and 2 of the 3 South Africans.
But we failed to get nominations or applications in time for the Global North region. We are therefore calling again for nominations for this region, and will, run a Special Vote process to elect a new Board member for the region which includes, Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
The process will be as follows:
- We invite you to check below the list of eligibility requirements for a representative to be elected onto the GIN board. We are sending you a nominee application form, via this link, for applicants to answer as part of the application process;
- The application form should be filled out on the Google form at the above link and submitted. Please note that applications to be a candidate for a Board seat will close on 20 March 2022;
- The Board nomination committee will vet candidates according to our set criteria, and applications will be made available online for members to review on 10 April 2022;
- The election will then be run virtually from 25-27 April 2022, and the results will be made available within two weeks of the end of the voting.
Requirements for Candidacy
- You must have demonstrable qualifications in one or more of the following areas:
- Financial management and Treasurer duties
- Fundraising, grant writing, and grant reporting
- Legal issues and compliance for non-profits
- Staff supervision and strategic plan implementation through programming
- Board governance and management
- You must be an individual GIN Member or a representative of a Member Entity.
- You must have excellent attention to detail and communication skills, both written and oral; consistent access to internet and a computer are essential
- You must have strong character, tenacity, and integrity
- You must have 10 hours per month to dedicate to your work as a Board Member
- You must have strong political analysis of what it means to be a Global South-centered organization, member-led, and intersectional
- You must be able to, in your own way, provide spiritual leadership within and on behalf of our organisation
- Strong collegial networks, preferably international in scope
- Experience in one or more of our programmatic areas:
- Creating Religious Dialogue
- Training and Educational Resources
- Media and Global Messaging
- Human Rights, Policy, and Legal Advocacy
- Regional Networking and Outreach on Behalf of GIN
- Creating Safer Spaces and Skills for Maintaining Groups/Movement Work
- Skills in content development for educational materials
- Ordination or formal leadership within a faith community
- Public speaking skills